Friday, February 23, 2007

American Bittern in my Maine backyard last summer

Can't help thinking of warmer weather so I pulled out this photo of an American Bittern that visited my Maine backyard last July. They are suppose to be an elusive bird! To my delight this one became fond of our yard. It came at least twice every day for a month. Early morning and early evening. On the rainy days (which were often) it would show up off and on all day long. It certainly got a belly full of worms and other insects in that time. In looking up on the web I was quite surprised to find out they have a unique sound and was hoping I would get to hear it, but that didn't come about.

It seems each year we have a different wildlife visitor, 2006 was this American Bittern and I am so honored to have been able to watch it for that month. Wonder who will pop in this year to surprise us? Well, actually we already had one different visitor - Jan 2007 - a Barred Owl perched on our deck post one evening, that was exciting to see such a magnificent owl so close.

You can find out more about the American Bittern and hear it's different song here: http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/33/_/American_Bittern.aspx

Have a good night and be safe :) Coppertop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are Welcomed!