Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Maine Red Fox




The Red Fox is such a beautiful creature! The one photographed above was passing through our backyard, a couple years back. I came across the photos while looking for some video clips. I remembered how excited I was when I realized the movements in the tall grass along a rock wall were that of a Red Fox. I quickly made my way to the room where I keep my video camera on a tripod and ready to go. These photos are actually stills captured from my video camera that was hooked to a scouting camera. I did enhance them somewhat in software program Photoshop Elements.

This fox was absoluetly gorgeous, his fur was so shinny and his tail so fluffy and full. He/she stayed hidden for quite a few minutes in the same spot moving it's head only to check out the wall. Suddenly the fox bounced out and along the rock wall as if on a mission, it quickly disappeared into the woods. How long it had been there before I noticed it? I do not know. Did it get a meal? Not while I was watching.

When we first moved here in 1998, seeing a Red Fox hunt through our field was not uncommon, then they seemed to disappear. The one photographed above (2004) was the last red fox I saw until I happened to captured one on a scouting camera last fall.

Enjoy :) Coppertop

1 comment:

  1. A truely beautiful animal, I only wish I had seen it in person. I have always enjoyed the wildlife, but I never seem to have my camera when they show up. This one looks alot like a Vixen that showed up while I was on a Hunting Trip with an uncle. She stayed at the campsite for the entire seven days, sleeping in the Old Rabbit Hole, as we call it. A very friendly fox she was, taking the fat scraps from our lunch steaks from our hands with no fear. You may want to try by Fox P. a hunting scent used to hide the human smell, I din it works for just wanting to veiw the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Welcomed!