Sunday, March 11, 2007

Snow buntings have returned

Well, it has been seven days since I last saw the Snow Buntings! They were here late yesterday and have been off and on all day today. They are so much fun to watch as they fly around the field, such active little birds. Yesterday it was quite windy and they were huddled in groups on the snow flapping their wings constantly. They would disppear into hollows in the snow as if they were getting out of the wind for a bit and then would pop back out. You can just see the top of one's head in this photo.
Between our field and next is a strip of tall dead grass, they have been there quite a bit after the seeds I would guess. They will pick up the seeds that have dropped from my bird feeders but I have yet to see them light on a feeder.
I do believe Spring has arrived in Maine! The snow is melting, the driveway is a mud hole!
Enjoy :) Coppertop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are Welcomed!