Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Beautiful April day in Maine

Gosh! we have been having such great weather in Maine this week. We've been able to sit out and not worry about bugs (yet). Even start up the outdoor fireplace and eat outside - yum yum! So much better tasting food! Last evening, while sitting by the fire, the above Purple Finch visited - this is the first one I have seen this year. Actually it has been quite quiet around our feeders lately, not even a red squirrel. I have seen a couple woodpeckers and a few ground sparrows but that has been it.
Tonight while sitting outside about the same time as last night, the Purple Finch returned (well, don't know if it was the same one or not but would like to think so!) and brought back another. So now we have two male Purple Finches!
It was so beautiful this morning, I went down and sat in my woods shack for awhile. took my camera, binouclars and a cup of coffee. It was so peaceful there, in fact a little too quite! I have been hoping to see some different birds down there as it is an old orchard we have been cleaning out. Now with the trees budding seems as though the birds should be around, but I failed to see any this morning except for three big birds - Jakes! They walked through the orchard right in front of me, the one in above photo was half heartily strutting. I was surprised they didn't hang around longer, but guess they were on a mission as they disappeared into the woods like they knew just where they were headed. Gosh! I didn't even see a red squirrel down there, last fall I could not go down one time without having one try to come into the shack with me!

Enjoy :) Coppertop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are Welcomed!