Monday, February 23, 2009

A little 'Spring' during Maine Snow Storm





February 23rd and yet another snow storm has dumped another 12" or more of fresh snow, some locations in Maine getting much more. Thousands are without power this morning as the heavy snow and wind causes problems. Thankfully, we have not lost power. Every window in our home is snow covered that is slowly melting away as the day progresses. Our front door was barricaded shut with the new snow while the side door steps were bare this morning. Oh, the wonders of the winter - wind, snow and where and how high it might drift! Today will be spent clearing out the driveway, walkways, decks and roofs. A great day for a hot fish chowder, stew or soup of sorts!

I walk through the house seeing winter clothes, winter boots and window views of snow and more snow, yet I can pause and smile as I look at my beautiful Amaryllis plant that has just blossomed, a reminder of Spring, flowers, gardens and green grass. My daughter gave me this plant as a Birthday gift (Dec 13th). At first it was just a pretty pot with dirt only visible and seemed like ages before the first green sprouted up. Today it is so beautiful, two blooms and one more to open.



Winter may be outside today but there is a bit of Spring in my heart that emerges every time I look at my Amaryllis and I know it won't be that long before gardens, the smell of flowers, green grass, blue skies, backyard barbecues and so very much more.

Enjoy your day :) Coppertop

1 comment:

  1. What a pretty Amaryllis, Coppertop. Spring will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Welcomed!