Saturday, March 07, 2009

Morning thrill - Bohemian Waxwings!

What a thrill this morning to look out my kitchen window and see a group of birds in the Oak tree. It took me a few seconds to realize they were Bohemian Waxwings. This is not a regular visitor and I do not remember seeing this many at one time ever before.

As you can see from the above photo it is quite a cloudy morning and my photos are not the best. The two photos below I did lighten in Adobe Photoshop Elements so that the colors of these beautiful birds could be seen.

We have a couple barberry shrubs in the yard that I had transplanted from the woods and it appears they were after the winter berries. Just one problem - the shrubs are pretty well buried in the snow!

My Audubon bird book tells me the Bohemian Waxwing is a rare visitor to the northeastern U.S. in the winter. When it does appear it feeds on berries, often in large flocks. The visit was short in our backyard but they certainly made my day!

Do hope you have a wonderful weekend! :) Coppertop

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. We have had Cedar Waxwings around but never Bohemian Waxwings. I'm not sure if I would even know the difference. Glad that you got to these them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi glbuzz - I was hoping they would come back when the sun was out but no such luck!
    One noticible difference between the two is the coloring on the underside of the tail - the Cedar Waxwing is white and the Bohemian a chestnut color. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Welcomed!