Friday, May 08, 2009

Hummingbird Time in Maine

About 4pm this afternoon I saw our first Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the year! A male landed on a feeder I had put out this past week in anticipation of their arrival.
I sat outside for a short time eariler this evening watching the birds at a feeder and took a few photos I would like to share with you. As I was sitting and watching the song birds, I suddenly remembered that the hummers liked to sit in the oak tree so I started to scan the many branches and sure enough there he was! :) To my delight he sat still long enough for me to snap off a couple shots, he then moved on to another branch and I was able to get a few more. The photos here are all of the same one lonely male hummer. I wonder if more will arrive tomorrow - will just have to wait and see!

Earlier today while doing some yard work I thought I had heard a bluebird but at that time could not spot it. This evening a male landed in our oak tree and ate his supper!

The male goldfinches have all their color back again now and are they not bright yellow!

The white-breasted nuthatch is a treat to watch as they manuveur upside down the tree trunks and at the feeder!


It is so amazing how much entertainment one can find in their own backyard and its FREE!
I do hope you all take time to enjoy the wildlife in your own backyards! :) Coppertop

1 comment:

  1. Great bird photo's. My hummers arrived a day after yours did.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Welcomed!