Friday, October 16, 2009

Wild Violet Salad! Yum! Yum!


Wild violet salad - yum! yum!

This white-tail deer is enjoying a meal of the wild violets that I allow to grow under this oak tree. We have lived here for 10 years now and this is the first year that the flower leaves have become a dinning treat for the deer or any other critter. I had heard of deer nibbling on hosta leaves and as you see there is one in the middle of the violets, but it has not been touched, at least not at the time of this scouting camera capture!

You've got to love these little HCO Infrared Digital Scouting Cameras! I expected it would have to be a doe and/or fawn doing the nibbling but now I know for sure.

Along side our gravel driveway are some wild rose bushes growing. Each morning we find fresh tracks, evidence of a doe and fawn sampling the rose hips and even snacking on a rose branch - ouch! Watch out for those thorns.

I do know that on our small 10 acres the acorns are few this year and I saw no beech nuts on our trees. We have quite a few old apple trees and odd to look around and see some apples on one tree and none on the two right next to it. It appears the usual wildlife food is not in abundance this year, but I can only go on what I see on our small piece of land.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of wildlife food?

Take care and enjoy! :) Coppertop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are Welcomed!