Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring is here!

 7 a.m.
Today is the 1st day of spring by the calendar standards and I guess by some of the wild bird standards also. Coffee in hand, I paused at the window overlooking our field. Two Robins are on the ground pulling food from the ground. A male bluebird is checking out a couple birdhouses and a tree sparrow is sitting on top of yet another birdhouse. The male bluebird goes from one sitting post to another singing his song. I keep looking for a female but none do I see today.

Blue jays are communicating back and forth as three crows fly by. Several goldfinches flutter by, the male is turning bright yellow after a dull winter.

Our field is still mostly brown with some green growth showing, but then again it is only March 20th and here in Maine one cannot rule the fact that we still can have an end of the season snow storm.

5 p.m.
What a fabulous day today! I worked outside cleaning up a flower garden this morning and then again this afternoon for a short time. I am trying to get myself back in shape for outdoor work slowly this year and not jump in high gear and overdo it ending up with muscle aches where I did not know muscles existed. Once I start a project though it is very hard to quit until it is complete – I’m a person who wants it done and done yesterday! : )  I am so anxious to see colors – flowers, green grass, blue sky, beautiful white clouds!
Notice the hole in the trunk of the large apple tree in photo below - the trunk is hollow from ground up yet the tree bears apples each year!

I do hope you have enjoyed your day today!  : )  Coppertop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are Welcomed!