Saturday, May 15, 2010

Finally! Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are back.

Yesterday, I got a glimpse of a male hummingbird as it whizzed by our double doors; first sighting this year. I’ve had one feeder out for a couple weeks in anticipation and have kept an eye on it throughout the day but had not see any around. This afternoon I happened to be standing in the right spot as a female hummingbird was checking out a window where in the past a feeder has been hung but not yet this year. Needless to say it did not take me long to get a second feeder ready and hanging. I have not seen the female again but a male visited a feeder twice today and I was able to get a few pictures through the window.

I don’t know about others but just watching the hummingbird zip around seems to radiate some of that energy to me and I can certainly handle some extra energy these days! I do hope you will see them soon in your backyard if not already.

A few interesting Hummingbird facts:
*Hummingbirds are the smallest birds in the world.
*Hummingbirds can hear better and see farther than humans.
*A Hummingbird’s tongue is grooved like the shape of a “W” and is used to lap up nectar from flowers and feeders.
* An average size Hummingbird will have about 940 feathers.
* Hummingbirds have an average life span of 5 years but can live beyond 10 years.
*Many plants depend on the Hummingbird for pollination.
*Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly both frontwards and backwards. They can also hover in mid-air, fly sideways and even upside down!

Take a break and keep your eye out for Hummingbirds - they will surely bring smiles! 
Enjoy : )  Coppertop


3 comments:

  1. Great photo's! I can't get our hummers to sit long enough to take a photo. So far, we still only have one male that is showing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are finally seeing some hummingbirds in your yard. You said that you had had your first feeder out for a few weeks waiting on the birds to appear. I hope that during that time you have been changing the nectar solution in that feeder regularly. The nectar solution will spoil by fermenting and it will get mold and bacteria in it. All of these things will drive the hummingbirds away and you will have a hard time getting the birds to once again trust your food supply.

    If you wish to discover much more valuable information on the subject of hummingbirds, please click on the lick below. You will be glad you did!

    Click Here To Check Out The Discover The Amazing Humming Bird Audio CD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice, Zoe Ann. I do keep a close eye on the feeders and change the nectar regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Welcomed!